Monday, January 28, 2008

Economics and consumption

~I'm not an economist and I have never pretended to understand the ins and outs of economic policies. Much of it sounds like gobblety gook to me. But in my naivete I've often wondered how a system that always demands MORE--more resources, more consumption-- can be sustained in the long run.

~I've also wondered about the ethics of tax cuts in era in which government deficits are at an all time high and social programs are slashed on a regular basis.

~And what about tax rebates to stimulate the economy? On the one hand Americans are consistently told that they don't save enough while on the other hand we're told we need to keep spending.

~So it was heartening to find this great article at the Episcopalians for Global Reconciliation website. Read it. And take it to heart.

No comments: